Follow these simple steps to train and certify to be a tax preparation volunteer.
STEP #1: MATERIALS TO HELP YOU STUDY
A variety of materials are available to help you complete your training and certify. If you are new to our program, we advise you begin with the orientation videos.
- Introduction: Welcome to Free Tax Prep (about 38 minutes)
- Road Map: How to Use Our Resources (about 4 minutes)
- Creating Log-Ins: Accessing Practice Lab & Testing Site (about 9 minutes)
Resource Road Map
- Click the related link to the right to download the Excel Workbook Road Map 2.0.
Presentation & Practice Materials
- Hot Topic Recorded Sessions
- Filing Status (about 58 minutes)
- Dependents (about 46 minutes)
- Capital Gains (about 61 minutes)
- Open Lab: Retirement Simplified Method (about 39 minutes)
- Health Savings Account (about 48 minutes)
- Open Lab: Uber Driver Schedule C (about 75 minutes)
- Education Credits (about 36 minutes)
- California Tax Updates (about 50 minutes)
- Federal Tax Updates (about 50 minutes)
- Open Lab: TaxSlayer Practice and Good Questions (about 55 minutes)
- Virtual Volunteer Training (about 3hr, 24 minutes): Due to the length of this video, you will need to download the linked mp4 file in order to watch it.
- Classroom Sessions PowerPoint Presentations
- Practice Scenarios from Classroom Training
- California Tax Law Training PowerPoint Presentation
- Federal Updates for 2020 PowerPoint Presentation
- Publication 4491: Training Guide
- Publication 4012: Volunteer Resource Guide
- Publication 4961: Volunteer Standards of Conduct Training
- Publication 5101: Intake/Interview & Quality Review Training
- Publication 6744: Test/Retest
- Publication 5130: California Volunteer Reference Manual
- Publication 17: Tax Guide
- Please note that the test questions in the 6744 booklet may differ from the test questions through the online test.
STEP #2: PLAY AROUND IN PRACTICE LAB
To complete some of the exercises for the certification, you will want to access the tax preparation software. The password for the practice lab is TRAINPROWEB (all caps). You can access the Practice Lab here.
STEP #3: ARE YOU READY TO CERTIFY?
To register and complete certification go to www.linklearncertification.com.
STEP #4: SUBMIT YOUR VOLUNTEER AGREEMENT
After completing your certification exams you will be able to electronically sign your volunteer agreement by checking the box in your Link & Learn account in the upper right hand corner.
Please email Debi Linderholm (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your signed volunteer agreement and indicate in which type of volunteer role you are interested: In-Person Preparer, Virtual Preparer, or Drop-Off Facilitator. You may choose more than one role.
Throughout tax season, many of our volunteers get asked questions from our clients about how they can get access to additional services for various situations they are experiencing. There are generally two referrals we make to our clients: 211 and Financial Empowerment Center.
211 is a vital service that connects communities to local organizations and resources able to address problems such as housing, utilities, mental health, transportation, and much more. For more information go to 211.org or call 2-1-1 on any local area coded phone.
Financial Empowerment Center, City of Sacramento offers free professional one-on-one financial navigation and coaching for local residents. To request an FEC navigation or coaching appointment, email FEC@cityofsacramento.org or call 916-808-4927. All appointments will be remote via phone or video at this time. See more information on their website.
Volunteers may contact our program manager at any time with
Program Manager: Debi Linderholm, email@example.com or (916)856-3978