Leading the Way
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
United Way believes that a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is fundamental to reducing poverty, educational and economic disparities; and that this local United Way has a critical role to play in and throughout the Capital Region. UWCCR believes that partnerships and collaborations are key to our efforts.
More than ever, strong, unified collaboration between community members and private, public, and nonprofit sectors is critical to advance real change and build resilient communities. We all need to work together to create a more equitable Capital Region.
To ensure United Way California Capital Region leads with diversity, equity and inclusion, the following framework serves as a guidepost:
- Diversity is the presence of differences that may include race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality, socioeconomic status, language, (dis)ability, age, religious commitment, or political perspective. We also recognize that individuals affiliate with multiple identities. Populations that have been, and remain, underrepresented are marginalized in the broader society.
- Equity is the intentional inclusion of everyone in society. It is achieved when systemic, institutional and historical barriers based on race, gender, sexual orientation, and other identities are dismantled and no longer predict socioeconomic, education and health outcomes.
- Inclusion is where any individual or group is and feels welcomed, respected, supported, valued, and can fully participate. Inclusion embraces differences and offers respect in words and actions for all people, and fosters a diversity of thought, ideas, perspectives and values. Inclusion is when diverse individuals can participate fully in the decision-making processes and opportunities.
United Way California Capital Region:
- Recognizes that structural racism, ethnic discrimination and other forms of oppression have contributed to the persistent disparities United Way seeks to dismantle.
- Acknowledges that these inequities are the result of policies and practices that work to marginalize entire populations of people.
- Unequivocally denounces racism and ethnic discrimination because they undermine the well-being and vitality of all communities.
- Network strives to engage community members and elevate the voices of those who have traditionally been marginalized.
- Will collaborate with residents and public and private partners to co-create solutions that ensure everyone has the resources, support, opportunities and networks they need to thrive.
We practice our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion by living our values and:
- Helping Kids Excel in School
- Investing in Families
- Creating Meaningful Partnerships
- Organizing to Lift Impacted Families
- Advocating for System Changes