Harvest Of The Month Highlight
May is Carrots!
Harvest of the Month is a set of tools and resources promoting healthy eating habits and nutrition education while showcasing locally grown produce. Its multi-functionality has allowed it to be utilized in a variety of settings – school, workplace, retail outlets, and many more.
Check back each month as we feature a new, in-season fresh fruit or vegetable that you can integrate at home, in the workplace and share with family and friends!
For the month of May, Harvest of the Month is highlighting carrots!
Reasons to eat carrots:
• A ½ cup of carrots (fresh or cooked) provides more than 200% of the recommended Daily Value for vitamin A.
• Vitamin A is important because it helps keep your vision good and your skin healthy. It also helps your body fight infections
Healthy Serving Ideas:
• Eat carrot sticks dipped in a light dressing for a healthy snack.
• Add shredded carrots to coleslaw for extra color and flavor.
• Boil carrots with potatoes for a sweet twist on mashed potatoes.
Harvest of the Month is a program of the California Department of Public Health. For more information and access to additional resources, visit: http://www.harvestofthemonth.cdph.ca.gov/