Harvest Of The Month Highlight
April is Avocados!
Harvest of the Month is a set of tools and resources promoting healthy eating habits and nutrition education while showcasing locally grown produce. Its multi-functionality has allowed it to be utilized in a variety of settings – school, workplace, retail outlets, and many more.
Check back each month as we feature a new, in-season fresh fruit or vegetable that you can integrate at home, in the workplace and share with family and friends!
For the month of April, Harvest of the Month is highlighting avocados!
Reasons to eat avocado:
• A ½ cup of sliced avocado is a good source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, potassium, and vitamin K.
• Avocados are also a good source of monounsaturated fat, which is a healthy fat your body needs.
• Monounsaturated fat is an oil that helps lower the “bad” cholesterol in your body and may help raise the “good” cholesterol.
Healthy Serving Ideas:
•• Add sliced avocados to your favorite salad.
• Mash avocados to make a creamy, flavorful topping for your sandwiches.
• Mix mashed avocados into baked potatoes for a rich and healthy topping.
Harvest of the Month is a program of the California Department of Public Health. For more information and access to additional resources, visit: http://www.harvestofthemonth.cdph.ca.gov/