KinderCamp is a four-week summer program for incoming kindergartners who have not had the opportunity to go to preschool.
This free program gives students the opportunity to experience a classroom environment, be exposed to basic math and reading skills, and advance their social and emotional development. KinderCamp is also a collaborative community initiative that connects families with programs and services to help keep kids healthy so they can go to school every day ready to learn.
KinderCamp focuses on Kindergarten Readiness, Parent Engagement and Literacy and program activities. Every day a child attends KinderCamp, they earn a book to take home. That is 20 brand new books of their own.
Numerous studies have demonstrated that preschool significantly helps children prepare for kindergarten and the school years beyond. Yet, in Yolo County, at least 41% of preschool age children do not experience preschool before starting kindergarten. Another reason why children aren’t successful in school is due to health issues, including sickness, malnutrition or trauma, all which can stem from physical or emotional abuse or neglect in their home or community. That’s why connecting families to community resources is a big part of KinderCamp.
How to enroll in KinderCamp!
Your child must be registered for kindergarten in either Woodland
Joint Unified School District or Esparto Unified School District
and must have had little or no preschool experience or have been
referred by their previous preschool for having developmental
PLEASE NOTE THAT REGISTRATION FOR 2019 KINDERCAMP IS NOW CLOSED.
Last year, 40 Incoming Kindergarteners attended KinderCamp:
• Families were connected to at least 40 different community resources
• All children were individually assessed for developmental delays.
- 17% of kids who were screened were identified in need and 100% were referred to services.
- 100% of these children improved in the area their expressive language skills and 93% in their social interactions.
• Children receiving services at the Children’s Therapy Center did so at no cost to their families.
- 79% improved in their fine motor manipulative skills which is important for writing and using scissors.
- 67% improved in the area of cognition, which include number sense of quantity and cause and effect.
KinderCamp is a true community collaboration. Year after year, our partners come together to invest in our local children and their education.
- KinderCamp is offered in classrooms at Freeman Elementary School with pre/post student assessments provided by Yolo County of Education.
- Yolo County YMCA leads the day-to-day program operations
- Yolo Food Bank operates the weekly kids’ Farmers’ Market
- CommuniCare provides dental health screenings
- Northern California Children’s Therapy Center provides individual screenings and referrals
- Empower Yolo provides “play school experiences” for parents, guardians and children ages 3 to 5 years old.
- City of Woodland supports this program with the library field trip, community learning garden and “read with a police officer” day.
- Local businesses and caring individuals help out in the classroom, read to children and help run the weekly kids’ Farmers’ Market
We are thankful for the generous support of our local sponsors:
- City of Woodland, Measure J
- Bayer Corporation
- Tri-Counties Bank
- US Bank