U.S. Bank: United Way Spirit of America award winner
United Way is honored to present the 2011 United Way Spirit of America Award to U.S. Bank.
In communities across the United States, U.S. Bank and its
employees leverage their unique expertise to improve people’s
financial stability and create stronger communities. This
commitment can be seen in countless ways throughout the
U.S. Bank partners closely with United Ways in communities across the U.S., including:
- U.S. Bank teamed up with United Way of Greater Los Angeles to expand financial literacy training, including developing Individual Development Accounts to encourage saving. U.S. Bank provided a two-to-one match on the amount saved.
- In Minnesota, U.S. Bank employees assisted with volunteer income tax assistance for lower-income working families, helping more than 10,000 tax payers receive assistance.
In 2010, U.S. Bank provided $38 million in total charitable giving, an increase of 24% over the previous year.
- U.S. Bank raised more than $12.5 million for communities in partnership with United Way. United Way is the largest grant recipient and sole partner for U.S. Bank’s employee giving campaign.
- The Bank also provided $25.8 million to support programs focused on financial education, job training, affordable housing and more – 75% of the Bank’s overall charitable giving is focused on improving financial stability.
More than 36,000 U.S. Bank employees volunteered in 2010, serving 217,000 people.
- 1,800 U.S. Bank employees that shared their financial expertise with 40,000 youth and adults across the country on topics like basic banking and home buying.
- 900 Bank employees also taught 19,000 students to become lifelong savers for “National Teach Children to Save Day.”
- Overall, more than 32,000 volunteer hours were donated to improving financial stability.
U.S. Bank also creates opportunities for customers to give back,
including a U.S. Bank and VISA partnership that raised money for
United Way and 25,000 other qualifying charities by offering
triple FlexPoints to customers who used their FlexPoints VISA
card to make charitable contributions.