Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program Associate
Reports to: Financial Stability Program Officer
Department: Community Impact
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time, 18-month Grant-Funded Position
(continuation dependent on future funding)
Date: April 2018
Reporting to the Financial Stability Program Officer and taking direction from the VITA Program Coordinator, the VITA Program Associate is responsible for implementing a Citi Community Development grant-funded initiative to significantly expand the number of sites and volunteers active in our free tax preparation program, and to lead a strategic planning process to improve the reach and quality of the program. This position consistently exercises a high degree of initiative, independent judgment and decision-making in selecting alternatives within established guidelines, policies and procedures.
Responsibilities include: Partnership and volunteer development, community engagement, and creating, implementing and/or overseeing program logistics, to include the following:
- In Spring/Summer 2018, convene VITA stakeholders to assess program’s historical and recent success, challenges, needs and opportunities, and determine best strategies for growth and improvement.
- In 2018-2019, achieve a 20 percent increase to the number of sites, volunteers and tax filings in our VITA program.
- Develop procedures and systems to ensure sustainability of the scaled-up VITA program
- Assist VITA Coordinator and Financial Stability Program Officer with program operations and administration
- Participate actively, collaboratively and positively in the Impact Department
- Be knowledgeable of UWCCR activities and functions in order to build quality relationships with organizational volunteers, partners and team members
- Identify strategic planning consultant(s); co-lead planning process; document/implement results.
- Develop new site location partnerships
- Work closely with IRS to secure official status for VITA sites
- Engage public officials and other community leaders in supporting and promoting VITA activities
- Recruit volunteers and manage their timely training/certification ahead of tax filing season
- Coordinate volunteer participation and logistics during tax filing season
- Assist with volunteer retention
- Become certified as a VITA volunteer and site coordinator
- Act as VITA site coordinator for some new sites as needed
- Support VITA site coordinators as needed
- Assist with and create sustainable systems for program tracking, reporting and evaluation
- Lead or support planning and execution of all VITA-related events
- Perform other project services and duties as assigned
DESIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in social science/community development, or other field related to job duties
- 2+ years of community program/partnership development experience
- Understanding of collective/collaborative community impact work
- Experience with grant administration and compliance
- Experience recruiting and coordinating volunteers
- Knowledge of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program a plus
- Familiarity with community resources in the Sacramento/Capital Region a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish, Russian, Hmong, Vietnamese or Cantonese a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, including the ability to communicate well in a variety of settings with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving abilities
- Able to react, organize and prioritize within a high pressure, fast paced environment
- Outstanding work ethic and willingness to do what it takes to get the job done
- Ability to work independently with a high attention to detail
- Constant decision making and concentration
- High level of proficiency in various Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to maintain a polished professional appearance
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Work in an office environment, lift and move objects up to 40 pounds such as large binders, books, boxes, and small office equipment
- Possession of an appropriate California operator’s license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles, and adequate automobile insurance; possession and maintenance of a good driving record (as evidenced by freedom from multiple or serious traffic violation for at least a two-year duration) that does not contribute to an increase in UWCCR insurance rates.
To apply for this position please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com Only resumes with a cover letter and resume attached will be considered. No phone calls please.