Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
Reports to: Vice President, Community Impact
Department: Community Impact
Post Date: November 8, 2017
Apply by: November 30, 2017
Reporting to the Square One Program Director, United Way California Capital Region’s (UWCCR) Volunteer Engagement Coordinator is responsible to plan, develop, organize and administer the volunteer strategies that will provide real, measurable benefits to the regional community and position UWCCR as an effective and involved community leader.
The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator ensures volunteer projects are strategic and utilize best practices in volunteerism, recruitment, retention, recognition and evaluation. The position will be responsible for deepening existing relationships and establishing new ones by engaging individuals and groups in volunteerism, advocacy, learning opportunities, workplace drives and other related activities.
Additionally, this position administers UWCCR’s AmeriCorps Vista Program. This program is serves as one of the intermediaries in the Sacramento region for the AmeriCorps VISTA program. In partnership with the Corporation for National and Community Service, we oversee the placement of up to 20 AmeriCorps VISTA members with area nonprofits. The Goal of the program is to build capacity, expand program reach and ultimately improve the lives of those in our communities who need it most.
The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator will work closely with key UWCCR departments to promote volunteer opportunities and engage potential volunteers. The position will be responsible for the tracking information on UWCCR volunteers. Working with the regional nonprofit agencies, the Coordinator of Volunteerism will take the lead on the annual Agency Certification Process and nonprofit communications including a quarterly newsletter designed exclusively for certified nonprofit partners.
- Works with Community Impact, Marketing, Resource Development, and Operations and other key constituents to develop a strategic volunteer engagement plan to connect current and potential volunteers with United Way.
- Identify and promote volunteer and community engagement opportunities aligned with Square One goals and objectives.
- Work with Resource Development staff to incorporate volunteering as part of the corporate call to action
- In coordination with other United Way Department, plan, coordinate and oversee annual volunteer event(s), Day of Caring, etc.
- Oversee the recruitment and placement of VISTAs, as well as ongoing support for both the sub-sites and VISTA members.
- Develop and execute a plan to move volunteers to financial investors, and vice versa, and track progress of this movement.
- Track, monitor and report United Way volunteer activity.
- Coordinate and manage the agency certification process and agency communications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of volunteer strategies
- Understanding of the collective impact model.
- Previous history of grant management
- Working knowledge of United Way and its mission
- Knowledge of project management best practices.
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps Vista Program
- Ability to recruit key stake holders, community volunteers, and corporate partners
- Demonstrated good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform with minimal supervision.
- Ability to appropriately represent United Way in public settings.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, including the ability to communicate well in a variety of settings with a variety of stakeholders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Knowledge of volunteer management software applications
DESIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in business, public health, or social services or a related field.
- 2-5 years of full-time experience in business or organizational management, community development, social services or a related field—with demonstrated progressive increase in scope of responsibility and authority.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Experience facilitating and arriving at actionable decisions in large, medium and small-scale community meetings.
- Experience working as a member of a management team
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Sit at a desk for long periods of time.
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Work in an office environment, lift and move objects up to 40 pounds such as large binders, books, boxes, and small office equipment.
- React quickly under high pressure settings.
- Willingness to travel locally and overnight via plane, train or private vehicle.
- Ability to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends.
- Possession of an appropriate California operator’s license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles, and adequate automobile insurance; possession and maintenance of a good driving record (as evidenced by freedom from multiple or serious traffic violation for at least a two-year duration) that does not contribute to an increase in UWCCR insurance rates.
To apply for this position please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only resumes with a cover letter and resume attached will be considered. No phone calls please.