Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Department: Finance & Operations
Classification: Non-Exempt, Full-Time, Union
Date: July 2018
Application Deadline: Until filled
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Staff Accountant is responsible for providing broad support to the areas of Finance and Operations.
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- Campaign Processing and Payouts
- Grant Management
- Other duties as assigned
- Review accounts payable reports to ensure proper coding, totals, authorization and documentation. Work in conjunction with staff to correct errors with paperwork or within 3rd party software.
- Prepare accounts payable import from 3rd party software and import into accounting software. Review entries and correct errors.
- Reconcile monthly credit card activity and vendor statements. Work in conjunction with staff to resolve and obtain missing items.
- Assist with weekly deposits including copying, scanning, coding, researching account numbers and creating envelopes to send to campaign processor.
- Manage the AR Email including troubleshooting issues, researching and responding to partners.
- Prepare tax letters upon request from donors.
- Manage the Nonprofit Portal Email including troubleshooting issues, researching and responding to agencies.
- Update donor and agency contact, designation, payment and/or banking records in Andar, including contact and follow up if information is incorrect.
- Prep and import monthly and quarterly agency payout invoices into accounting software.
- Review and approve Positive Pay daily on bank website. Research and resolve unknown items.
- Prepare, file and follow up with all fraud activity.
- Serve as UPS Conference Room Liaison. Work with outside agencies on reservation, contract, payment, and day of use items including set up.
- Manage Customer Service Email including troubleshooting issues, researching and responding to emails.
- Process office incoming mail daily and distribute accordingly to staff.
- Process Returned Mail to determine the reason for the return. Troubleshoot and resolve issue.
- Maintain files for department, including regular filing and maintenance of Finance Room.
- Manage deadline and cleaning schedules, including updating signage and regular emails to designated staff.
- Manage supplies for kitchen and supply room. Including daily restocking and acting as liaison with vendors.
- Assist with gathering items related to contracts/grants checklist.
- Assist with annual audit.
- Assist in annual budget process.
- Participate actively and positively in department and organization team meetings.
- Serve as backup when Finance & Operations Manager is out of office.
DESIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of the 12th grade or equivalent
- 3+ years of accounting experience and related functions
- Experience using QuickBooks
- Experience using Donor Management software a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Accurately type 45 wpm
- Excellent English communication skills, verbal and written, including the ability to communicate well in a variety of settings with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, time management, and problem-solving abilities
- Knowledge of current office practices, procedures and safe work practices
- Able to react, organize and prioritize within a high pressure, fast paced environment
- Outstanding work ethic and willingness to do what it takes to get the job done
- Ability to work independently with a high attention to detail
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel and Word)
TYPICAL PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
- Communicate with staff, volunteers, donors, agencies, companies and other customers by telephone, email, and in face-to-face, one-to-one or group settings
- Use telephone, laptop, computer, monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer/copier, calculator and standard office equipment
- Sit at a desk for extended periods of time
- File and retrieve documents from a manual filing cabinet
- Lift and move objects up to 40 pounds such as large binders, boxes, books and small office equipment
- Have sufficient finger/hand coordination and dexterity to operate and adjust office equipment such as telephone, computer, printer/copier and calculator
Must have a California Operator’s license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles. Possession and maintenance of a good driving record as evidenced by the absence of multiple or serious traffic violations or accidents for at least a two-year duration and does not contribute to an increase in United Way’s insurance rates.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to Jennifer.Macias@uwccr.org. Only resumes with a cover letter and resume attached will be considered. Applicants who have applied for this position previously (June 2018 – present) will not be considered. No phone calls, please.