Looking back at 2017
See all we've accomplished with your help!
It was a year of success for our Square One Project! Over the next 20 years, we will make a significant increase in the number of local kids who graduate from high school ready for success in college and beyond. With your donations and support, take a look at what we’ve accomplished together:
Food for Stomach = Fuel for Brain
Success in Reading = Success in School
- 2,100+ books were donated to schools to help kids read.
- 27 volunteer reading tutors ages 50+ descended on 4 school districts, thanks to AARP Experience Corps, which we lead locally.
Money in Savings = Investment in Kids
- $47,925 was raised for families of kindergarteners to receive help opening college savings accounts, thanks to United Way-sponsored Kindergarten 2 College Savings.
- More than $75,000 was raised for special savings accounts that help foster youth succeed after they leave care, thanks to 450 guests at the Women United Luncheon featuring special guest Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles.
- 288 people participated in our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program’s savings promotion, saving a total of $476,443 from their refunds (an average of $1,654) in their own savings accounts.
More Hands on Deck = Support for Kids and Families
- Over the last 5 years, 3,692 volunteers donated more than 18,000 hours and completed 182 volunteer projects during Day of Caring.
- 45 students at Sacramento State and UC Davis volunteered with Student United Way.
- 18 AmeriCorps VISTA members gave a year of service to our community through United Way and our partners.
- 246 exceptional donors committed $1,000+ to the Square One Project as Leadership Givers.