Become a member of our Tocqueville Society
United Way California Capital Region’s Tocqueville Society is a powerful group of local business and civic leaders who individually contribute $10,000 or more and share a similar passion for improving people’s lives and leading the LIVE UNITED movement – personally and collectively.
The Tocqueville Society recognizes local philanthropic leaders and volunteer champions around the world who have devoted time, talent, and funds to create long-lasting changes by tackling our communities’ most serious issues. Membership in the Tocqueville Society is granted to individuals who contribute at least $10,000.00 annually to a member United Way.
United Way’s Tocqueville Society is named after the French author Alexis de Tocqueville who, in the 1800s, traveled extensively throughout the United States. His observations, readings and discussions with eminent Americans formed the basis of Democracy in America, a detailed study of American society and politics. The observation on philanthropy made by Alexis de Tocqueville in 1831 is true today. Americans understand that advancing the common good means creating opportunities for a better life for all.
Membership provides unique professional growth, networking and mentoring opportunities; individual and family volunteer events; community impact partner site visits; and invitations to attend social events including quarterly Tocqueville Breakfasts.
Benefits for Tocqueville Society:
- Exclusive Tocqueville Lunches: speakers series highlighting corporate, political, and nonprofit issues with the Capital Region’s most influential leaders
- Tours of program sites: see your dollars and the movement in action by touring and meeting the beneficiaries of United Way’s projects
- Opportunity to mentor young leaders through United Way’s Emerging Leaders group
- Opportunity to join United Way’s Women in Philanthropy group
- Reception for new members hosted by Tocqueville Society Chair
- Personal philanthropic account that allows you to hold your gift to be distributed and allocated as you prefer throughout the year
- Opportunity for legacy giving
- Family friendly volunteer activities
- Priority access to other corporate and social events involving members from our 5 county region (Amador, El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento and Yolo counties)
- Opportunity to join one of United Way’s Impact Councils
- Annual Recognition event
- Recognition on website
- Monthly newsletter
- Ability to inspire others by setting a significant level of giving
Interested in joining? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org